BBQ Chicken Bowls With Sweet Potatoes And Coleslaw
BBQ Chicken Bowls With Sweet Potatoes And Coleslaw shredded BBQ chicken, roasted sweet potato cubes that have been spiced, a straightforward coleslaw, and quickly prepared dill pickles. They’re surprisingly quick and simple, filling, and healthful.
BBQ Chicken Bowls With Sweet Potatoes And Coleslaw Ingredients
For the BBQ Chicken
- Two boneless
- skinless chicken breasts weighing approximately 14 pounds
- 1/4 cup Whole30 BBQ sauce
- 2 tablespoons of Italian dressing (see Notes)
- salt to taste, or approximately 2 1/2 cups shredded BBQ pork or chicken
For the Sweet Potatoes
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- a dash of cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of avocado or refined coconut oil are needed for the sweet potatoes
For the Quick Dill Pickles
- Fresh dill sprig
- minced garlic clove
- thinly sliced English cucumber
- pinch of yellow mustard seeds
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon salt, OR use 1/4 cup sliced cold dill pickles
For the Coleslaw
- 1 14-ounce bag of shredded coleslaw mix
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Dry BBQ seasoning and freshly chopped parsley
- Instant Pot
- Make sweet potatoes by preparing them as follows: Toss all ingredients together on a baking sheet, roast for 20 minutes, then thoroughly stir and return to the oven. Bake an additional ten to fifteen minutes, or until the edges are brown but not too crisp or crunchy.
- Make pickles: In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients for the pickle while the sweet potatoes roast. Place aside.
- Grill chicken: The next step is to combine everything in an Instant Pot. Seal and cook for ten minutes at high pressure. When the time is up, quickly release and shred the chicken with two forks or a hand mixer on low speed. Turn the heat to Sauté and cook the chicken for five minutes, or until it is coated in sauce, See Note for regular shredded chicken or slow cooker instructions if you do not have an Instant Pot.
- Prepare slaw: In a small bowl, combine all ingredients except the coleslaw mix. Pour dressing over coleslaw mix in a medium bowl. Use your hands if you like to combine well.
- Make the bowls: Divide the BBQ chicken, sweet potatoes, and coleslaw evenly among the four bowls. Add a few pickle slices on top. If desired, garnish with freshly chopped parsley.
- Crockpot chicken cooking: Join all your bar-b-que chicken fixings in the sluggish cooker. Cover and cook for three hours on high or five hours on low.
- To make without a slow cooker or Instant Pot: Two medium boneless, skinless chicken breasts should be shredded with two forks before being placed in a medium saucepan set to medium heat. Cover the chicken with 3/4 cup of BBQ sauce and stir until the sauce is absorbed and the chicken is cooked through. If desired, increase the sauce.
- For BBQ chicken, if you don’t have Italian dressing: Substitute 1/2 cup oil, 1/2 cup white wine vinegar, or white wine vinegar, and a pinch of Italian seasoning.
- Using store-bought pickles rather than making your own: Instead of the bright yellow variety from the aisles, use high-quality cold pickles.
- To conserve more coleslaw: Save any leftover liquid for another use in a refrigerator-safe container for up to four days.