Breakfast Tortilla Wrap
With four-quarters of delicious fillings, check out this Breakfast Tortilla Wrap made with the TikTok tortilla folding trend!
The tortilla trend, a fun way to stuff a tortilla in quarters and then fold it over into a triangle, became one of the best food trends this year during the first week of January. I immediately joined the trend and posted a TikTok video of my breakfast tortilla wrap that went viral. It is surprisingly portable, crispy on the outside, melty on the inside, and endlessly customizable!
Breakfast Tortilla Wrap Ingredients
- Eggs: For this breakfast version, I scrambled two eggs with some butter and salt before adding them directly from the pan to the tortilla.
- Avocados are one of my favorite ingredients to put in eggs. To ensure that they remain put on the tortilla, I advise mashing them before adding them.
- Salsa: This serves as the wrap’s “sauce,” but use moderation as too much salsa could make the tortilla soggy. To keep it intact, I suggest a thick kind. Likewise, reserve one of the middle sections for the salsa.
- The most important component of the wrap might be the cheese. The interior becomes deliciously melty, while the pieces that seep out during cooking become caramelized and crisp.
Add the fillings and wrap
- Make a slit in the middle of a large burrito-style tortilla from one edge to the other. Then, fill that lower right quadrant with the first filling.
- To help flavor the protein in the first quarter, add something saucy or creamy to the next two quarters.
- Add some cheese to complete the dish. Because this is the “glue” that keeps the wrap together, I think it’s important to put it in this breakfast tortilla wrap.
- Fold the second quarter over the first.
- Crease the second quarter over the second from last quarter.
- Fold the final quarter in half to form a triangle. And it’s that simple!
- Enjoy this final step of frying the tortilla on a griddle even though there are many variations of the tortilla trend that are served at room temperature without cooking the tortilla. The skillet used to fry the eggs can be used again, or you can try it on a grill pan for some beautiful grill marks.
- After two to three minutes, turn it over to make sure it doesn’t burn
- Use a tortilla the size of a burrito. Big or small? Additionally, if you are working with a smaller tortilla, folding this over will be extremely challenging, which is why I say that. The folding process is made simpler by its size.
- Without overfilling, keep the fillings light. Use flat ingredients and spreads to keep the quarters simple. To ensure that nothing spills out when it folds over, I don’t recommend using any ingredients that are chunky.
- Cheese should not be skipped. The breakfast tortilla wrap is really held together by the cheese, and the bits that leak out give it a wonderful crispy exterior.
- The tortilla becomes more pliable when heated. A few tortillas can fall to pieces with this collapsing strategy, so ensure it feels malleable enough from the outset or intensity in the microwave only for 10 seconds to make it more straightforward.
- Try it out on a toaster. A reader recently shared that she cooked this in a toaster oven at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for ten minutes, just long enough to melt the cheese and get a nice crisp on the outside.