Cabbage Stir Fry
Cabbage Stir Fry – This Asian-inspired dish features red bell pepper, carrots, and green onions, all seasoned with a light and flavorful dressing. It’s a quick and easy vegan main course that’s ready in 30 minutes.
I saw a recipe in the New York Times and thought it needed to be added to the recipe gallery. I didn’t stray too far from the original recipe, but I did add a few red pepper flakes because I enjoy spiciness (if you’re not a fan of spice, leave it out).
This dish is both delicious and quick to prepare. It can be ready in 30 minutes or less. It’s a great recipe for when you’re short on time but want something nutritious. Serve with rice, quinoa, or noodles, or
Cabbage Stir Fry Ingredients
- 2 tbsp. sesame oil, divided
- 12 ounces firm or extra firm organic tofu, cut into dominoes
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 – 3 minced large garlic cloves
- a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 small cabbage (approximately 1 1/2 pounds), finely shredded (red, green or both)
- 1 julienned red bell pepper
- 1 carrot, cut into matchsticks, or 1 cup baby carrots
- 4 sliced green onions (reserve one green onion for garnish)
- 2–4 tbsp tamari, low sodium soy sauce, or coconut aminos
- 1 to 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons water
- to taste, salt and pepper
To serve Cabbage Stir Fry
- toasted sesame seeds
- thinly sliced scallions (green onions)
- Optional grain (soba or ramen noodles, quinoa, basmati or jasmine rice)
- Tofu crisp: Press the tofu between dish towels or paper towels after cutting it into domino shapes. Tofu should be cooked for 5 to 8 minutes on each side, turning once, in a pan with 1 tablespoon of oil, until it is lightly golden. Add garlic salt or garlic powder to taste. Tofu should be moved to a small plate.
- Fry in a stir fry pan: Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to a 14-inch wok or large skillet over medium-high heat, and cook the garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes for one minute. Stir fry the cabbage, carrots, green onions, red bell pepper, rice vinegar, and water for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the cabbage wilts and the vegetables soften. To warm through, add the tofu to the cabbage stir fry two minutes before it is done. Taste for preparing, adding salt to taste.
- With your choice of cooked grain, top the cabbage stir fry with sesame seeds, green onions, or cilantro.
- Free of Oil: When stir-frying the cabbage, use 1/4 cup water to eliminate the need for oil. You can cook the tofu without the oil if you use a nonstick pan. Alternately, bake the tofu for 20 to 25 minutes on a lined baking sheet in an oven preheated to 400 degrees.
- Make sure to leave a comment and a star rating down below!