Gluten-Free Gnocchi uses only 3 basic ingredients for an easy-to-make entrée or appetizer (plus salt and water)! When the vegan gnocchi are finished shaping, boil, fry, or bake them to perfection! How to prepare gnocchi without using dairy, gluten, or eggs!
Gluten-Free Gnocchi Ingredients
- Yukon Gold potatoes, weighing 2 1/4 pounds (1 kg), peeled and cut
- Chickpea flour, 1 1/2 to 2 cups (180-240 g)
- Tapioca flour, 1 cup (120 g), plus additional for dusting (see notes)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- For this recipe, I recommend using a kitchen scale. For simple, graphical instructions, check out the video in the blog post.
- The potatoes should be peeled and chopped before being added to salted water and brought to a boil in a pot. Drain thoroughly after cooking for about 15 minutes on medium heat. Mash them with a potato masher (not a food processor or blender) and return them to the pot.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of chickpea flour and the custard flour, and massage with your hands until a mixture structures.
- The dough may still be a little sticky, but handling it shouldn’t be a problem. Add more chickpea flour and knead once more if the dough is too sticky. Whether you need 1 1/2 cups, 1 1/3 cups, or up to 2 cups of chickpea flour varies by potato type.
- Dust the dough with a little tapioca flour after cutting it into equal-sized pieces.
- Roll each piece to form strands using your fingers. Cut the dough into 1-inch pieces with a knife and shape the pieces into small balls with your hands. If you want ridges on your gnocchi, you can roll each ball over the back of a fork (this step is optional). Check out the video up top to see how simple it is.
- In a pot of salted, boiling water, add the gnocchi. Using a slotted spoon, remove the gnocchi as soon as they rise to the surface (after only 2-4 minutes).
- You can either fry them for a few minutes in a pan with a little bit of vegan butter or vegetable oil or serve them with a sauce of your choice (such as mushroom stroganoff; see the post for additional serving suggestions). They will turn crispy, making them even better. Enjoy!