Heart Healthy Mediterranean Vegetable Lentil Soup
Heart Healthy Mediterranean Vegetable Lentil Soup – This filling soup is bursting with veggies, lentils, and mouthwatering Mediterranean spices.
Heart Healthy Mediterranean Vegetable Lentil Soup Ingredients
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 28-ounce can of crushed tomatoes with basil
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 3 medium celery stalks diced
- 5 medium carrots diced
- 1 parsnip (or 1 small potato) diced
- 2 tablespoons of pesto
- 1 tablespoon each of dried oregano, dried thyme, and fennel seed
- 8 cups of low sodium chicken bone broth (or beef, vegetable)
- 1 1/2 cups of dried green lentils
- 1 cup of frozen sweet peas
- 3 cups of chopped
- In a stockpot, heat the oil to a medium-high temperature.
- The onions, garlic, celery, carrots, and parsnips should be sautéed for about ten minutes, or until they begin to brown.
- Stir in the spices and pesto to combine.
- Tomatoes and stock should be added. Turn the intensity up to high and heat the soup to the point of boiling.
- Lentils, peas, and, if desired, kale or other greens should be added. After bringing the soup back to a boil, turn down the heat to low. Cover and cook for about forty minutes.
- To taste, add the cauliflower florets, pepper, and salt. Cover and cook for an additional 15 to 20 minutes, or until all of the vegetables and lentils are tender.
- Taste and, if necessary, add more pesto and salt to adjust the seasoning.
Calories: 278kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 739mg | Potassium: 1015mg | Fiber: 15g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 9145IU | Vitamin C: 58mg | Calcium: 136mg | Iron: 5mg