High-Protein Tomato & Basil Salad
High-Protein Tomato & Basil Salad – Plant-based protein and flavor are provided by chickpeas, artichoke hearts, and fresh mint. It’s a complete meal in and of itself, and it only takes 20 minutes to prepare.
Side salads are something I rarely eat. Especially when it’s so simple to turn a salad into a full meal. If you’re going to the trouble of chopping a bunch of fruits and vegetables, it’s worth taking a few extra steps to avoid having to prepare an extra main course.
High-Protein Tomato & Basil Salad Ingredients
- 1 pint halved grape tomatoes
- Season with salt to taste
- 3 tbsp avocado oil/extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon grain mustard
- 1 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 large cubed avocado
- 1/2 cup jarred or canned marinated artichoke hearts, quartered
- 1 pound chickpeas
- 6 chiffonade mint leaves
- Chiffonade of 7 basil leaves
- 1/3 cup chopped pistachios
- to taste, black pepper
- Give the tomatoes salt: The tomatoes should go through a large sieve. Sprinkle on a good amount of salt. Toss the salt evenly over the tomatoes.
- Set aside for at least 15 minutes to drain. To get more juices out of them, rub them once more while lightly squeezing. Reserve the juice.
- Dress the salad: In a medium bowl, thoroughly combine the tomato juice, avocado oil, grain mustard, and lemon juice.
- Combine the following: Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, avocado, artichoke hearts, mint, basil, and pistachios by stirring. Add salt and pepper to
- Notes: Although canned or jarred artichoke hearts will work, marinated artichokes add more flavor to this recipe. Chop them before adding them to the salad if you can’t find them quartered.