Mama’s Puerto Rican Chicken and Rice (Arroz con Pollo)
Mama’s Puerto Rican Chicken and Rice sometimes referred to as arroz con pollo, is prepared in one skillet with savory rice and handmade chicken sofrito with adobo seasoning. This hearty weekday supper is simple to prepare and is soothing. You’ll prepare this dish repeatedly!
Mama’s Puerto Rican Chicken and Rice Ingredients
For the chicken:
- 1 12 pounds of skinless, boneless chicken thighs with 2 tablespoons of olive oil each
For the adobo seasoning:
- 1/9 cup cumin
- Paprika, 3/4 teaspoon
- 50 ml of chili powder
- Red cayenne pepper, half a teaspoon
- 1/2 tsp. of onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. of garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. coriander
- Salt, 1/2 teaspoon
- black pepper freshly ground
For the rice & sofrito:
- 14 cup of finely diced green pepper and 3 minced garlic cloves
- 14 cup of white onion, coarsely diced
- 14 cup of cilantro, coarsely diced
- Optional: 1 diced jalapeño 1/4 teaspoon ground cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric and 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- Garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon
- 1/4 tsp. oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and black pepper
- tomato sauce, 1 cup
- 3/4 cups of water
- 2/3 cup frozen peas and 1 cup basmati white rice (do not use brown rice since it takes too long to cook) (or rinsed and drained
- pigeon peas)
- Optional: ½ cup pitted green olives
- Put the chicken in a big bowl. Adobo seasoning and one tablespoon olive oil should be added: coriander, salt, pepper, chili powder, cayenne pepper, cumin, and paprika are the other ingredients. Toss the chicken in the mixture with clean hands. Cover and let the chicken marinate for 30 minutes, or you can start the cooking process right away!
- The next step is to heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a 10-inch, deep skillet over medium-high heat. A large pot will also work well if you don’t have a skillet!!)Add the chicken once the oil is hot, and season it with a little more salt and pepper. Flip and continue cooking for an additional 4-5 minutes, or until browned. Transfer to a plate after removing from the pan.
- You will make your sofrito by adding garlic, jalapeno, diced green pepper, diced onion, and cilantro to the same skillet—it should already be sufficiently greased for sautéing.
- After sautéing for two to three minutes, add your spices—also known as homemade sazon spices: Cook for 30 seconds with salt, pepper, turmeric, coriander, oregano, garlic powder, and cumin. Then, thoroughly combine the water and tomato sauce.
- After bringing to a simmer, stir in the rice, peas, and olive, if using, in an even layer. Add carmelized chicken on top.
Cover the skillet right away, turn the heat down to low, and cook for 20 to 25 minutes.
- The rice should be cooked after 20 to 25 minutes when the majority of the liquid has been absorbed. Serve right away. Serve with a squeeze of freshly squeezed lime juice and garnish with cilantro.
- To make meals: This meal feeds four people. Place one chicken thigh on top of rice in a meal prep container. Chop some cilantro on top.