Mongolian ground beef
Mongolian ground beef is a tasty and cost-effective alternative to the classic. It’s a healthier soy-free alternative that’s paleo, whole30, and AIP friendly.
This recipe has become a household favorite in no time! The main ingredient in Mongolian beef is steak, typically flank steak, which is first coated in starch (such as corn starch or arrowroot) to make it crispy before being blended with green onions and a sauce composed of soy sauce. It’s a hearty, delicious dish that pairs well with rice and vegetables.
However, I don’t eat Mongolian Beef as frequently because it uses pricey steak cuts. I chose to adapt this recipe so that it could be made using ground beef because I always have the much more affordable and manageable ground beef on hand.
It’s as delicious, simpler, and cheaper! This dish is a better option because it is AIP, whole30, gluten-free, and paleo.
Mongolian ground beef Ingredients
- 1 lb. of ground beef
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Black pepper, 1/4 teaspoon (omit for AIP)
- Coconut aminos, 1/3 cup
- 1/4 cup of soup
- Apple cider vinegar, 1 teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar (omit for whole30)
- arrowroot starch, 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp
- 1 thumb of grated ginger
- 3 chopped garlic cloves, 4 thinly sliced green onions
- Add salt and pepper to the ground beef and brown it in a large skillet over medium heat. Set aside the browned beef, leaving about 2 tablespoons of fat in the pan.
- Whisk the coconut aminos, broth, apple cider vinegar, coconut sugar, and arrowroot starch in a separate bowl.Place aside.
- Add the ginger and garlic to the same pan and reduce the heat to low to medium. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the sauce to the pan and stir it around. Heat and thicken for one to two minutes.
- Return the ground beef to the pan and thoroughly stir it into the sauce to coat it. Cook the green onions for two to three minutes, or until they are soft.
- Serve hot over cauliflower rice or with your favorite vegetables.
All nutritional data are estimates and may change. Optional ingredients are not included in the nutritional data.
serving size: 1 SERVING calories: 166fat: 3.6Gcarbohydrates: 4.9Gfiber: 0.4Gprotein: 27.3G