Slow Cooker Creamy Ranch Chicken
Creamy Ranch Chicken – A hearty dish of comfort is tender chicken in a creamy ranch gravy. Set your slow cooker to “set and forget”!
I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs to make this. They were on sale at an absurdly cheap price last week in one of my neighborhood grocers with boneless, skinless breasts. I, therefore, stocked up because I had recently bought a brand-new upright freezer for myself and couldn’t pass up the chance to fill it.
Thighs, at least for me, cook considerably more effectively when cooked slowly. Whereas I feel that boneless, skinless breasts get dry and stringy with prolonged cooking times, the texture remains largely acceptable. This recipe can be made with breast pieces, but I advise you to watch it closely and serve it as soon as it’s done. You should allow 3-5 hours to cook a boneless, skinless breast. Thighs also provide, in my opinion, a better flavor when cooked low and slowly.
Cream of chicken soup is the convenient ingredient in this recipe. When I add store-bought seasoning mixes, I typically use the lower-sodium variety to keep the finished product from being overly salty. I did use a commercial ranch dressing mix packet here. You can make your own; I do so using this recipe for ranch seasoning. I reduce the amount of salt called for by half when I make my own. I want to use up a lot of store-bought ranch seasoning, but I prefer Missy’s recipe, which is linked in this paragraph. I think you’ll agree that it tastes better!
Creamy Ranch Chicken Ingredients
- two pounds of skinless, boneless chicken thighs or breasts
- Cream of chicken soup, 10.75 ounces (low sodium preferred)
- one dry ranch dressing/seasoning mix envelope OR a quarter cup of homemade ranch seasoning
- 0.5 cups of water
- 1/4 cup of delicious red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 ounces of cream cheese, cubed up.
- grated Parmesan cheese, 3 tbsp.
- In a 5-7-quart slow cooker, combine the soup and ranch seasoning.
- Stir as you add the water in stages to avoid lumps.
- Incorporate the red pepper.
- Cover and cook the chicken for 6 to 8 hours on low, 3-5 hours on high.
- Add the Parmesan cheese and cubed cream cheese about an hour before the minimum cook time.
- Cover and cook for about 30 minutes more.
- Mix well so the cream cheddar is very much mixed into sauce.