Southwest Ground Beef and Sweet Potato Skillet
Southwest Ground Beef and Sweet Potato Skillet are a 30-minute, simple, and delectable recipe that the entire family will enjoy! There are many different ways to serve it, and it may all be made in one pan.
You probably gasped a little when you saw a recipe for ground beef on my blog. I definitely prefer chicken, turkey, and fish to beef, but occasionally I’ll crave it. On the other hand, my hubby would probably just eat meat. It goes without saying that when I made this Southwest Ground Beef and Sweet Potato Skillet, he was really happy.
This is a simple one-pan meal with tastes that are appealing to most people. The chili powder adds spiciness, the ground beef adds flavor, and the sweet potatoes add just enough sweetness to balance it all out. This skillet dinner can be prepared in approximately 30 minutes and is served in a variety of ways, some of which I’ve listed below.
Southwest Ground Beef and Sweet Potato Skillet Ingredients
- Olive oil, 1 tbsp
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 pound of lean beef
- split into 5 tablespoons of chili powder
- 2 tablespoons of cumin powder
- To taste, add freshly ground black pepper and kosher salt.
- one teaspoon of minced garlic
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, chopped and peeled
- Fire-roasted diced tomatoes, 14.5 ounce can
- 4 ounces of canned green chile dice
- 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese and 1/4 cup of water
- Citrus as a garnish (optional)
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil to a medium-high temperature. Crumble the beef with a wooden spoon after adding the ground beef and diced onion. Season with salt and pepper before adding 1 teaspoon of cumin and 1 tablespoon (3 teaspoons) of chili powder. Add the garlic after the beef is almost done cooking and cook for another minute. Wipe the skillet clean and pour it out onto a plate.
- In the skillet, combine the diced sweet potato, fire-roasted tomatoes, green chiles, water, two teaspoons of chili powder, and one teaspoon of cumin, salt, and pepper. Cover everything with a lid and stir it all together. The sweet potatoes should be tender after about 20 minutes of simmering on low heat.
- Combine the sweet potatoes with the ground beef mixture by stirring everything together. Cover once more with the lid for a further minute, or until the shredded cheese is melted, before serving. Serve with cilantro chopped on top.