Spicy Southwestern Salad with Avocado Dressing
Spicy Southwestern Salad with Avocado Dressing has roasted sweet potatoes, black beans, corn, lettuce, and creamy avocado dressing!
Spicy Southwestern Salad with Avocado Dressing Ingredients
For the salad in Spicy Southwestern Salad with Avocado Dressing:
- 2 small sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin and 1 teaspoon chili powder (plus a sprinkle of cayenne if you like it hot)
- season with salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/4-ounce can rinsed and drained black beans
- 1 1/4-ounce can sweet corn, rinsed and drained
- 1 romaine heart, chopped
For the Cilantro Dressing:
- a half avocado
- a quarter cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup cilantro leaves and stems
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- lime juice squeezed
- The oven should be at 400 degrees. Cut the sweet potatoes into bite-sized pieces after peeling them. In a small bowl, combine the chili powder, cumin, and olive oil. Apply the mix to the sweet potatoes. Broil for 10 minutes. Shake or stir the pan. Roast for another 10-15 minutes after increasing the heat to 425 degrees. Check, mix, and heat until the yams are scarcely roasty-brown outwardly. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In the meantime, in a food processor, pulse all of the dressing ingredients until mostly smooth.
- Add the dressing to the beans, corn, lettuce, and sweet potatoes. For even more flavor, serve it with chips or the other half of the avocado!
By substituting non-dairy yogurt for the Greek yogurt in this recipe, you can make it vegan. You could use a small piece of tofu or the whole avocado instead of the half. However, do not use oil because the avocado and oil do not really blend well together (I speak from experience).